Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Little Late

"It's a little late," my friend Kyle said to me when I mentioned I might start a Kansas blog as a sort of parallel compliment to my old Italy Blog, from my stay in that place.

But after telling the same stories over and over again, I realized it might not be a bad idea to collect as webcontent my midwestern adventures.

This way, too, friends and family can check in and see just what the hell I'm up to!

And although I'm pretty good at recordkeeping, I think this will be a good way to compile my narratives and some photos, for memory's sake.

Another purpose of this blog will be to answer the question I'm asked most often regarding this year off of mine-- Why Kansas?

People from all over ask me this, not least the high-school and middle-school students whose classrooms I temporarily take over as a substitute teacher.

That's a pretty complex question, and I have some theories to share. I will, too, cut and paste from other things written, as well as outline the basic turn of events to tell you what I know. The "how" of moving to Kansas is a lot simpler.. literally speaking, I drove here. And the longer version of 'how' is merely a sequence of events that led me to sign the lease on what I'm calling my "Butterfly" apartment.

2 comments:

  1. Your mother also gets the "why Kansas" question quite a bit. Maybe I can direct the curious to this blog; I know I'll be visiting often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the name "butterfly" apartment has some symbolism behind it also.

    ReplyDelete