Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Serendipity in Nashville

I'm going to Nashville this weekend. I've got an interview with the JET program: this means I've passed the first round of eliminations and face one further. I should be more focused on the interview itself, but I've been looking into my weekend plans instead. This may be because I am a bit overconfident about my interview (this will change as the moment approaches, I assure you). It's also because I'm really looking forward to a little Nashville vacation.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fly out Thursday AND have a job that day, but fortune intervened in the person of Mr. Jason, whose Latin class is occasionally half mine instead. Because of the way his schedule is set up, I could leave early on Thursday, if I wished. So, no worries about making the flight!

As it turns out, not only will I be able to see my friends who are still in Nashville (Johnny, Lindsay, Beatnik, Aasritha, Zul, and assorted professors), but I will even get to see some of them perform in Asian New Year Festival. I myself used to perform with the Souran Bushi crew; despite my general lack of coordination [and it admittedly requires little-- the movements are supposed to be symbolic of fishing crews], the dance was a lot of fun: Souran Bushi [on the video, our dance starts at 1:50; Aasritha, Dre, Zul, and myself are all featured, as are a bunch of other people I just love]. Asian New Year Festival, or ANYF is Saturday night.

But that's not all! Some old 'J-Hallers,' or members of the Japanese language hall from the past, are also going to be there. Not only myself and my roommate, Dre, but also a few more guys from around the southeast who feel that ANYF and the serendipitous occurrence of interviews at the same time calls for a reunion of sorts (Allegranzi and Seth).

And I'm not even done yet. My friend Dean, who is now in UVA Law, has some kind of debate tourney at Vandy that Friday.

So all in all, the weekend promises to be a complete overabundance of reunion-ship and good times. I would have stayed longer, but I've got to be back in time to sub on Monday in my favorite job (yep.. the Latin kids, again)!

No comments:

Post a Comment