Monday, May 18, 2009

Missus

I am not at the Butterfly Apartment, nor can I be considered "Em in Kansas," although I do like the sound of e-minks, or if you like, e-minx, for my digital escapades. I'm not sure yet what to do with this blog, so for now I'll just do what comes naturally, which is blog on.

I'm at my parents house, embarking on my first day as live-in housekeeper. I was in the midst of standing by the counter, scooping my lunch of chicken salad out of its fridge container with crackers (so college-- who needs plates? Or a table and chairs for that matter?) while simultaneously planning dinner/examining the available spice rack so I could go to the grocery store (so domestic-- I'm making chicken taco salad tonight) when the front doorbell rang.

One thing I have so far refused to handle is my parents' business. I may be the housekeeper, which leaves me the realm of food, cleanliness, and dogs, along with my personal penchant for letter-writing and other cute/frivolous pursuits of the reading and writing variety (like blogging). But I'm not sure I'm quite in a position to be answering their phone, for example, unless I recognize the number and it is my friend Kitchen.

So the doorbell rings. And I have to answer it because the guy can probably see me though the window, shoving triscuits into my mouth, unscrewing the lid on the jar of okra pickles. (My parents' food stock: always wonderful to me.) The windows are all open anyway, and so he can hear Jack and Karma bum-rushing the door, too (the windows are open because it is 68 degrees and all the flowers are blooming. Why, Georgia, why? Just to make me think it's silly to ever leave?). So I saunter out with a smile. His shirt says AT&T. He's probably the cable guy. "Are you Mrs. Lemmon?"

It sounds like "Mrs." anyway. There is a slight difference in pronunciation between that and "Miss" and I only learned the difference in the seventh grade because our English teacher was very particular about such things. She taught us well; apparently, in the south, people don't make much of the aural distinction. It was the second time in as many days that someone had asked me that question. Last night, Vanderbilt called and asked if I were (going by sound only) "Mrs." Lemmon. I blinked and wasn't sure what to say. Did they want to speak with my mother? Or, were they looking for me?

So, standing before the cable guy, I was just as stumped. My car in the driveway, its license plates finally home, I no longer look like a blatant out-of-stater. "Well, sort of," I said, making allowance for the fact that pronunciation is not to be dependable. He asked if I make any of the decisions around the house, which I've fully abdicated, so I told him no, and when I did he asked if that were Mr. Lemmon's thing. I blinked, realizing he must have thought me the young wife here in this neighborhood. I told him I was just back from college, that's all, and my parents did that stuff. (A reflex, but a lie by now.) And that Dad would be home later.

As I went back in to finish my chicken salad and finally bite into one of those okra pickles, I thought about how a lot of people my age ARE missus-es, and wondered what I'd do when I got married. I've pretty much decided to keep my last name, mostly because it sounds so cool. I'm not a major feminist or anything, but of the guys I've dated with any seriousness (or even among those I've dated without much seriousness), not one of them had a name I was dying to make my own. It might seem like a silly reason, but it's my reason. Apparently, people make big decisions the same way they make small decisions. Is it a sign of disrespect to a man and his family not to take his name? Maybe to some? Is it totally pase in this post-modern world? Will I always wonder whether the caller is looking for me, or my mother?

7 comments:

  1. I always thought this blogspot was meant to be "Em Inks," as in blogging. I only just now got the "Em in KS". So, my vote is keep it. Em Inks. Em Lem writes, about things varied and sundry, and also occasionally the same thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. i though it was em inks too. which would be a lovely e-writer name. jacobs about to get a missus. . . we need to talk about how to deal with that. lol. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoOoOOOo...i like this post very much. the whole taking the man's name thing is something about which i have thought long and hard. first of all, i plan on getting my doctorate which involves toiling away 6 years of my life with little monetary compensation. the least i want is to be dr. fissette or dr. fissette-manimarry. in addition, i like my name because it is my dad's name, too. caitlin lee fissette - dad = lee fissette. i like that. so yes, that is my take on it. perhaps i will one day meet the man that changes my mind, but, til then, i shall be keeping my name for purely logical reasons...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, if you don't want to give up your last name, just marry a guy with the same last name. Worked for me. :P

    But no matter what, you should totally hang on to the name Lemmon forever. Tis a snazzy name. I was always of the mindset that I would never give up my last name. But then, I was placed in a situation where I didn't have to choose between keeping it or not. I tell people he took my name. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really The Childlike Empress, but I like the name. :)

    I think the name confusion will lessen to an extent when you move out, but will probably stick with you your whole life, and that's probably the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that funny? I TOO thought it was Em inks...never made the KS connection.
    As for the last name, I'm delighted you want to hang on to it. Your dad and I pondered long and hard to come up with a melodious, alliterative name that would look great on a book jacket ;-)

    ReplyDelete