Monday, April 13, 2009

Epistulae and news

For the second day in a row, we are blessed with moderately chilly rain here in the middle of the midwest. I was going to bounce around Loose Park and take photos for another "travel guide" kind of thing, but bouncing around parks in chilly rain is simply not my thing. Staying inside, writing letters, and contemplating life..? Ah, that is more like it.

Letter writing is something that comes in waves, for me. It is, in fact, the very thing that prompted me to start this blog in the first place. I had let the letters pile up in my little desk organizer, and when I finally dispensed with replying to all of them, I realized I'd written the same thing fourteen times and sent it to different places around the country. There's nothing wrong with this in and of itself.. but the whole reason I had let them pile up was a general lack of time to deal with writing. Remedied here.

Not too long ago, I bought a rainbow pad of paper. The pages are "A5," so they are large enough to say something, and small enough to never say quite enough. There are a total of ten colors, but here are seven spread across my coffeetable.

I later put six under the glass and made them a permanent color fixture.. because I like colors.

Anyway, they may make me write more, or I may just like to write more than I used to, when it comes to letters. I'm going to say my record is the letter I sent wherein I used one of every color of paper, front and back. I used to just give the news, but now that this blog does that, I get introspective and deep as well. It allows me to tailor my letters a little bit more when I don't have to spend any time giving the basic facts, maybe?

I make a list of all the people to whom I need to mail things on my whiteboard in my room. I tend to go in order of who sent me something first and work my way down, but that isn't always how it works out.

Anyway, I got some sweet new stamps that I'm excited about using. I had to keep myself from also buying a bunch of sunflower ones, being in Kansas and all. It was almost too cliched.

So, in general: things are going pretty well. I've settled into a sort of schedule and am getting better at these things I do. My GRE tutor student has, I think, improved, although her diagnostic wasn't terribly encouraging. My Latin tutor student has worked his way up to an A, which rules. My GRE class last week wasn't the most awesome thing ever, but I have a feeling this week will be much better. D$ has expressed some interest in being my friend (and it's different, this time--). Zig's has added me for Saturday nights as well, so my frustration at only being given four hours a week is assuaged. And, literally, the sun just came out as the clouds are migrating southward before my very eyes. The sunset side of the sky is pinkish.

No comments:

Post a Comment