Thursday, April 23, 2009

Experiment: Success.

It's been over a week since I've written, and it's not because there's nothing to say. Things move and change as ever they did, and I've explanations for some of them, interpretations of some of them.

I unexpectedly got called in to sub the other day, and I went quick as I could, without knowing what grade level I was even in for. It turned out I was a reading teacher, who pulled out small groups from second and third grade every fifteen minutes to a half hour. I loved it-- it was a lot easier for me than trying to control a whole roomful of kids.. being reading support kicked ass. I got to work with ESL kids (from Turkey and Chile) and the slower readers, I suppose. We read scripts and did rhyming words, and talked about adjectives. I also spent some time just floating around as in-class support for some third grade rooms. My favorite moment was Craig's guileless face as we listened to the assignment given and he asked, "Will you help me?" We went to the back table and wrote a poem. I promise I didn't write it.. I just asked him questions til he did it himself.

Otherwise, subbing has remained relatively quiet. I may go hang out at the Junior Classical League convention at LHS next weekend and be a certamen reader, or something. A sort of last little goodbye/hurrah with the Latin kids.

Teaching GRE is going pretty well now. I'm getting used to having a very small class. It was difficult, a week ago, for me to believe I was going to leave because I didn't have enough work, but now that my KC job has come to its natural endpoint, I certainly can. I have a lot of extra time, now. I should be spending my extra time thinking about what it will mean to pack up the stuff in my room.

But I don't want to. It's begun to sink in, and people have begun to ask me not to go. That in itself is pretty gratifying. That in itself makes me want to pronounce the Kansas experiment a success. When they say I've become associated to sunshine and light, when we stay up laughing and sitting on the porch, I know I'll miss this.

It's finally gotten into the 80s of degrees two days in a row, now, and I'm wearing what skirts and dresses I have, just for the fun of it. Most of them are in GA because I brought them back in the fall; I didn't think they would fit in the car along with the sweaters on the drive home. All the windows are open, naturally, to let in the air and light. Today, I'll go shopping because my flip-flops finally became dangerous, and I have a twenty earmarked for "something fun." ;)

I haven't even seen Roommate in a couple of days, because our schedules are so off. He began his training for the census job he'll have for the next chunk of time, and so is doing the 8 to 5 style thing. I only work evenings and weekends anymore.. and since I have nowhere to be in the morning, don't really see a problem with hanging out until 3am on a Tuesday listening to people play guitar. Once I get up, he's gone.

So I spend my extra time being an arguably lazy girl. But I submit that I'm being responsible to enjoy myself, so I won't regret the time I had left in KS.

1 comment:

  1. enjoy yourself! (be where your feet are?) :) got your letter today and will be writing back soon! love you cousin!

    ReplyDelete