Thursday, April 30, 2009

Freelance Educator, II

Tuesday, I got an unexpected call in the morning to go in to a first grade classroom that day around noon. Sub calls have become 'unexpected' on the whole, for me, as they season has waned. I've maintained the most tenuous of connections with the school system, but since my last day in the Latin class, I've considered myself finished. Sub assignments, then, come as windfalls.

I hesitated at first, because it was first grade, and that awful pair of days back in the winter was a first grade classroom too. But I figured, what they hell.. the school was the one I pass by very often on my walks. If for no other reason than it was practically in my backyard, I ought to give it a chance.

It was one of the best behaved first grade classes I'd ever seen. They tested and pushed a bit, as every group will do with a sub. They have to see what they can get away with. I've gotten used to that, and even gotten used to the idea that they will try to destroy me. With those exceptional kids who will make art pictures for me.

But there were a couple of crystal clear moments when we were all working together, all on the same page, and all maybe even learning something. They were smart. They were good. I was impressed. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it's partly because the area where the school is located is a somewhat wealthier area. You can tell it if you go walking and jogging around. The houses are nice, and there's a little lake back there, some nice property. You'll see kids on the front lawn running around with neighbors while their parents sit serenely on the porch, keeping a watchful eye. It's the American Dream Come True, and I love to see it in the afternoons. But it also means that these kids understand a little something about the benevolent dictatorship of authority figures. I didn't have to fight as hard to make them listen and try and do.

Also coulda been the para in the room.. who knows!

Anyway, the very next day I was switching gears in a big way, to give my 'guest lecture' at KU to two mythology classes. They're covering Ovid's Metamorphoses, which was the material of my senior thesis. I elected to come in on the day they read parts of books 7-9, which contains both Cephalus and Iphis. And I won't say who picked out the stories they were to read for that day.. or maybe even the days following that one... <.< I was ridiculously excited to talk about Cephalus, although I worried a bit that it would be outside their interest level (not their comprehension-- they are capable, just maybe not into it).

But it seemed to go pretty well, and was fun. Wednesday evening, as per usual, I had my GRE prep class, which also seemed to go pretty well. Another verbal session in which I try to balance "just learn more vocab," with "here's what to do if you don't know the vocab." In between, Erin pointed out that I'd spent one day teaching handwriting and algae to first graders, and the next teaching college. Who does that?

Freelance educators do? I got to say hello to Dr. Corbeill while I was at it, and when he heard I was giving a short talk on my thesis, he asked if I "still agreed with it." It was aptly timed, because the day before, I'd been both delighted with some parts of my paper, and despairing at others. I had to admit that I found much of it to be rather immature, despite the fact that I've been "away from academia" all year.

I haven't really, that's a total lie. While academia hasn't been my-whole-life this past year, I've still managed to swim in collegiate circles as usual. I thought about it on my way across the Wal-Mart parking lot, wearing yet another college sweater (this one actually a Vandy representation, although I have several others). But I've made non-college friends, too (a few nights ago I stayed up watching Curb Your Enthusiasm with Heath), and seen so many people well on their ways toward goals that have nothing to do with getting higher and higher degrees. Ultimately, more degrees may be the most fitting path for me (I mean.. who are you talking to?), but it's nice to know it was never ever the only way.

2 comments:

  1. That last sentence mede me laugh out loud :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh at how different we are. I could never do what you do. Teaching lectures on your thesis. I don't have a thesis. ..

    ReplyDelete