Monday, March 2, 2009

Listserv Love

Shortly before going to Nashville, I received what I was calling "a booster shot of happy." This was the activation of the new GHP listserv. I had begun to get e-mail introductions from staff members, new and old.

In order to apply to the KU School of Education, I had to meet certain requirements.. one being the public speaking class or equivalent. I hadn't taken one in college, and my drama classes from high school also didn't count. So I took an exemption test instead, which required me to write and give two speeches, one informative, and one persuasive. For my informative topic I did Cephalus and Procris in Ovid's Metamorphoses (I know, can you get more obscure? But this was a big part of my senior thesis so I had plenty to say), basically about how Cephalus spins his story to make himself look good (as then, so now). And for my persuasive, I presented why programs like GHP are important and should be funded. I got in contact with the academic director of the program (Dale Lyles), and did some research on other states' programs with the same aims.

Basically it got me all excited for the summer. GHP is a six-week program for gifted students that covers all kinds of topics. I went for Latin in 2003, but subjects range through the performing arts, visual arts, humanities, and sciences. It's a beautiful mixing bowl of the best and the brightest, given opportunities to grow and learn and get to know one another. I've been working for the program since 2006, and this summer (2009) will most likely be my last, at least in the capacity of Residential Assistant. I might return as a teacher someday.

The point of the program is to encourage our high-potential kids to keep at it, to reach for their potentials, for the greater good of themselves, and those around them. The timing of the renewed listserv emails appearing in my mailbox could not have been better. I was in a bit of a slump, but had just recently delivered an impassioned speech on the importance of the program and its ideals.

Over the next several days and later weeks, I was cheered to see that some of my favorite people are returning, even though some are conspicuous by their absences. One of the favorites got married; someone else has an important job they can't give up. A few were dismissed and while I disagree with some of those decisions (some truly good RAs were let go, this year), it doesn't change the fact that I think the program is still a great thing, an important thing, and a thing I'm glad I get to take part in one more year.

I'm excited to see my old friends and meet the new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment