Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Three to Six Months

My name is Emily. My life changes every three to six months.

This is a trend that began about the time of spring semester, 2007, so about two years ago. It began when my long-term relationship (of two and a half years) ended and I embarked on a running train of changing locations, plans, and goals. I bounced from Nashville to Georgia, to south Georgia, back to Nashville, to Italy, back to Georgia, back to Nashville, back to Georgia/south Georgia, and off to Kansas. I participated in a rough spring semester, a summer that was by turns from hell and the supreme delight of existence (generally, life in Nashville was t3h suck, and my cruise vacation and GHP were amazing), an amazing and eye-opening fall semester abroad (sometimes hard, always incredible), a final senior semester at Vandy (balancing the twin goals of perfecting my thesis and taking it easy.. taking it all in, in my last term), a summer of dangerous expectations ballooning into failures, a fall working the ends off of restaurant business (morning prep, hostess for lunch, and expo some nights), and finally a winter of teaching. My substitute license arrived in November, about a day after Kaplan (for whom I'd applied and auditioned back in the summertime) called me in for training. Originally, I'd been slated to teach the SAT and ACT (both pre-college tests), but in early December I took the GRE (which is like the SAT of grad-school-admissions), and immediately thereafter (like, the day after), they asked me to train to teach that. Meanwhile, I was just wrapping up my first-ever classroom gig of three weeks.

Did you follow all of that? Me neither.

I trained with Kaplan and continued subbing through the winter. I was supposed to start teaching GRE prep in February, but because of economic concerns, Kaplan cut back a bit and asked me if I were still go for April. Yeah, sure.

This morning, I had my phone turned up to super-loud so that it would wake me without fail in case of job. No call came, just like Monday. Though Tuesday was spent in junior high art, that had been a pre-arranged deal. I began to get antsy. What if the subbing is drying up? We might have had snow over the weekend, but today's highs in the upper sixties melted the most of the last of the snow: spring is rolling in soon, and less people will be sick.

I start to worry that if I don't have a job for tomorrow, I should not take Friday off, although I intended to go to St. Louis that day, early, for my visit to Vates for his post-birthday celebration.

So Kaplan calls me this afternoon wanting to know if I can do an ACT class in Kansas City. And if I can start tomorrow, actually. They pay for mileage, too, which is decent.

What the hey. I want to get to know KC a little better anyway. You know. Before it's time for my life to change drastically again. Check back in three to six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment